SOURCE: MSSHA | March 15, 2021
On Feb. 25, 2021, a 26-year old plant operator died after entering a cyclone discharge box. The local fire department recovered the victim lodged in an 18-inch wide discharge pipe that was full of water.
- Wear a fall protection harness, properly tie off to a permanent support structure, and attach a lifeline when entering a bin or other confined space. Have a second person monitor the lifeline to make sure there is no slack in the fall protection system.
- Use personnel lifts or ladders to safely access elevated work areas.
- Always use fall protection when there’s a potential fall hazard.
- Examine work areas and equipment. Report defects and do not use unsafe work equipment.
- Assess risks and hazards before beginning maintenance activities.
- Train miners to safely perform their tasks and properly use their personal protective equipment.
This is the fifth fatality reported in 2021, and the first classified as “Slip or Fall of Person.”
To comment on this story or for additional details click on related button above.