SOURCE: MSHA | January 28, 2021
The Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) has announced a miner was fatally injured while changing the rear tire on a front end loader.
MSHA says this was the 29th fatality reported in 2020, and the ninth classified as ‘Machinery’. (Credit: MSHA)
The MSHA says the victim was underneath the front-end loader when it fell.
- Securely block raised equipment to prevent movement.
- Do not rely solely on hydraulic jacks.
- Perform equipment maintenance requiring lifting or raising equipment on a level and solid ground.
- Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for changing tires.
- Establish safe operating procedures for all work.
- Ensure all workers are trained in safe operating procedures.
To comment on this story or for additional details click on related button above.