SOURCE: MSHA | January 18, 2024
Arlington, VA — Responding to a recent spate of incidents – one fatal – involving underground mobile equipment, the Mine Safety and Health Administration has issued a safety alert.
MSHA describes four separate incidents that occurred between Sept. 26 and Oct. 16 in which workers were pinned between mobile equipment and a coal rib.
Agency best practices include ensuring miners:
- Maintain mobile equipment in safe operating condition and remove unsafe equipment from service.
- Avoid pinch points and “red zone” areas.
- Operate equipment from a safe location and wear reflective clothing.
- Communicate their presence and intended movements when working around mobile equipment, and wait to be acknowledged before moving.
- Sound warnings that are distinguishable from surrounding noise before moving equipment, when approaching and before traveling through check curtains.
- Complete training on the safety aspects, safeguards and safe operating procedures before use.
To comment on this story or for additional details click on related button above.