SOURCE: MSHA | December 19, 2022
On September 21, 2021, a 68-year-old contract truck driver with 20 years of experience was fatally injured while operating a haul truck. The victim was found lying in front of his truck near the edge of a haul road. The truck was upright and in the opposite direction of the expected route of travel.
- Establish a site traffic plan to include traffic routes, speed limits, and access points. Train miners to follow all traffic controls.
- Conduct pre-operational examinations to identify and repair defects that may affect the safe operation of equipment before placing equipment into service.
- Operate mobile equipment at speeds consistent with conditions of roadways, grades, curves, and traffic.
- Maintain control while operating mobile equipment. Never exceed a vehicle’s design capabilities, operating ranges, load limits, and safety features.
- Always wear a seat belt when operating mobile equipment.
- Never exit a moving vehicle. Remain in the seat with your seat belt secured.
To comment on this story or for additional details click on related button above.