SOURCE: MSHA | April 4, 2021
The Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) has confirmed a miner was fatally injured while attempting to insert a steel pin into a spud beam. it reports that it is the seventh fatality of 2021.
- Always assure hoisted equipment movement has stopped and the hoist operator has set the brake before working on hoisted equipment.
- Assure the hoist operator can see miners working on hoisted equipment.
- Establish an effective communication protocol, which includes confirmation of instructions, between the hoist operator and miners working on hoisted equipment.
- Position yourself in a safe location to maintain balance and protection from any energy of cantilevering tools or objects.
- Stay in a Safe Zone when working around cables and sheave wheel systems.
- Always maintain a work area that is clean and clear of debris.
- Train equipment operators in the safe performance of their tasks and potential hazards.
To comment on this story or for additional details click on related button above.