SOURCE: MSHA | July 15, 2019
Educational Field and Small Mine Services (EFSMS) provides assistance in the development and improvement of the health and safety programs of mine operators and contractors in the mining community. The EFSMS specializes in training programs tailored to reduce the number of injuries and illnesses in the mining industry. Additionally, EFSMS evaluates industry instructors to ensure miners receive quality and effective training.
EFSMS staff are located in 35 states and travel to mines and training centers to provide assistance that will strengthen and modernize training.
EFSMS works closely with MSHA District enforcement offices to identify industry needs and provide assistance to mines with safety and health issues. EFSMS provides assistance to the mining community through outreach initiatives, which are developed in collaboration with MSHA and the mining industry to address current or trending accidents in the mining community. These programs help mine operators develop or revise training, safety and health programs to address the conditions and hazards specific to their mines. Additionally, EFSMS provides assistance with developing training plans, instructor training (train-the-trainer), evaluating instructors, and training demonstrations using Mobile Safety Training Units.
Services We Provide
- Providing regulatory assistance
- Conducting training program analysis
- Approving Part 46 training plans
- Providing concentrated assistance to mines with greater need
- Providing training to miners, managers, and other stakeholders
- Evaluating and assisting industry instructors to develop and improve their skills
- Participating in accident investigations and providing expertise on safety and training issues surrounding the accident to determine root causes
- Forming partnerships with associations and other entities to increase focus on safety and health issues in the industry
- Assisting with the development and growth of the Joseph A. Holmes Safety Association
- Providing information at public forums such as health and safety conferences and outreach programs
To comment on this story or for additional details click on related button above.